Fashion - Beauty - Lifestyle Blog

Friday, 24 January 2014

Adam's One Year Birthday Cake

My son Adam turned one on January 16 and we celebrated his birthday the last Saturday. I am not sure when exactly I made the decision to bake his birthday cake on my own (instead of ordering by a professional), but I had this idea of a birthday cake with teddy bears on it in my mind for ages. About a week before the celebration date, I browsed the internet for some ideas and found these two pictures that I wanted to be a kind of an inspiration for what I wanted to do.

source
source
The fact is, that I had no idea what I was about to do. And that was probably a good thing, because it made me fearless when facing the challange of baking a decorated three-tiered cake without any experience or practice whatsoever :D.

I found three recipes for three different cakes (all with a kind of strawberry-mascarpone-whipped cream filling), got the needed stuff from a sugar craft store (white fondant, edible colours, two moulds) and five days before the celebration date I began to create the sugar paste teddies. I googled and found this tutorial on YouTube on how to make fondant teddy bears, which helped me a lot and I have to say, I had all the teddies (except of one) finished on the first evening of my working schedule. Yes, I had a (more or less) vague schedule on how to proceed, so that I have enough time for everything.

And here is the result of five nights with less sleep than I would have appreciated :). 

The cake was not perfect - needless to say, that I am not a professional baker, but I was quite happy with how it came out. There sure were some flaws and I just didn't have the skills to make them disappear, but overall, I think it ended up with a bigger success than I had expected. 

I made a bunch of cake pops using the same fondant as on the cake, as well as some cupcakes with coloured mascarpone cream on top, to match the cake. Everything I made was in pastel colours. I know that in a couple of years I will probably be making some red, blue and black Spider-man stuff, but at least for the first year, as Adam is still a baby, I wanted everything to look a kind of baby-like and dreamy :). 

At the end, I think that Adam was much happier about the smart tricycle he got, than the birthday cake I made for him :D, but I don't mind - the main thing is that he was happy and had a great day :)!


That's it for today.

See you soon :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment